It was finished in 1803 for a prosperous merchant farmer named John Shepherd Ker and his wife Agnes Corbin Ker. As all houses on the Peninsula is not particularly elegant but it is a huge house. Due to the relatively inaccessibility of the peninsula marble and stone to build elegant houses wasn't used. Instead they used plaster for fire place & cornis decorating. They did fax painting to resemble marble on the trim around the floors. They also fax painted the doors and wood work to look like fine mahogany. The house has had only 2 owners with the third being Historical Society. It has easily been restored original condition.
Agnes a few years later at 36 also from consumption. The two children lived with a cousin at the house until it was sold to the second owner years later.
No comments:
Post a Comment