Saturday, November 7, 2009

Tombstone, AZ

Yesterday we went to Tombstone, AZ where we toured the historic Cochise County courthouse. There we learned about the famous gun battle at the OK corral between the Earps and the Clantons. We also learned about the silver strike and mining as well as copper mines in the area. There was a section on the cattle barons in the area at the turn of the century. They had huge spreads and had herds of cattle that numbered as high as 25000 head. I don' think I have seen enough grass in the whole state of Arizona to support that many cattle, maybe they ate the leaves of the mesquite trees. One of the barons had 700,000 acres in Mexico as well as 200,000 acres in the states and reportedly had 75000 head of cattle. This area was also the home of the legendary Indian Geronimo. We also walked the historic town area looking into some of the many shops that are housed in the historic buildings such as the Bird Cage Theater.
Later in the afternoon we went to Sierra Vista where we had a nice 4 or 5 hr. visit with my cousin Bill Miller and his wife Susan. Bill & I reminisced about our childhood growing up living 1 mile apart in Nebraska.
For some reason I can't get any pictures down loaded from my camera so I guess we won't include any more pictures until I can get that fixed.

No comments: